Thursday, January 29, 2009

Happiness and Morality, Part 3

OK, so you may be thinking, "What's up with all this happiness and morality business?" Well, it's really nothing major. It's just a topic I think about often and I try to work on even more often. Every couple months I reference back to this book and each time I think I come to appreciate the book all the more. In case you missed it-- the book is called "Happiness is a Serious Problem: A Human Nature Repair Manual" by Dennis Prager. In my opinion, everyone could benefit from reading it, no matter how happy or unhappy you may be.

I love it that this concept is so contrary to everything our culture tells us about happiness and finding happiness. I feel like we're constantly inundated with messages about what should be making us happy...it's all about me...do what feels right...follow your heart, etc, etc. Choosing to view it as a matter of morality allows us to take personal responsibility and not be victims and completely selfish beings. When I hear: Happiness is a moral obligation, to me that's saying: It's NOT JUST ABOUT ME! Sometimes I need to be reminded of that. I can get so wrapped up in my own little world of feelings and thoughts, I am blinded to how other's are being effected.

Something I heard a lot from my dad when I was growing up was "Change your attitude". This was almost always preceded by "You have a bad attitude!" As a kid I hated hearing that, but little did I know how true it was! Not only was it true that I had a bad attitude-- but I really did have the power to change my attitude. This is a beautiful thing! And of course, I now find myself saying these same things to Mia. Poetic justice at it's finest. ;)

Not sure how much sense any of this post makes...I guess it was kind of just my thoughts as they came. Oh well, take it or leave it!

2 comments:

The Sugden Kids said...

I agree completely! The whole happiness is a choice thing...is one side of the coin...but seeing it as a 'moral obligation' is something entirely different!
I don't think I got that concept until now, and I'm still learning it... having kids puts you in a 'moral' 'responsible' 'obligation' type of role!
It's your responsibility to put your idea's of happiness aside in a way for the greater good of your family... for the happiness and security of your children and/or spouse. It's not always fun, or easy, or even what makes us feel happy...but in the end, you can be happy with yourself for the choices you've made and the simple fact that you can look yourself in the mirror with pride.
I once heard that it's impossible to be a really good mother with out sacrificing a very large part of who you are! I think many would disagree, but I've found it to be true...at least while they're young.
It doesn't always make me happy...but I'm happy to do it, if that makes sense?!
I think I just wrote a blog entry in your comments, oops! Sorry! :)

The Sugden Kids said...

Sounds like a really great book... I think I may need to pick up a copy!