Friday, February 13, 2009

V Day

Today I had to run to the grocery store to pick up a few random items. As I was walking up to the front of the store to checkout, I went through the card aisle. There were about 5 men rifling through the Valentine's cards, looking for that perfect card to capture their feelings. Or maybe I should say, the one that they think their wife or girlfriend will like the most.

I have to admit that every Valentine's Day I am rather annoyed! I just can't understand for the life of me why on earth we need this day!? Shouldn't we be showing our loved ones that we love them on a much more regular basis than one day a year? V Day really just seems like a way for all the stores to make more money...it's like they were experiencing a sales slump between Christmas and Easter so they filled in the gap with Valentine's Day!

OK, I know that's not the true origin...I'm just ranting. Like I said, it's annoying. I hate it that men are pressured to buy their special someone a cheesy card and some tacky balloons-- oh, and don't forget the Russell Stovers chocolates. Nothing says "I love you" like a box of Russell Stovers chocolates! Perhaps even worse than the fact that men cave to the pressure is all the women who make their husband or boyfriend feel like he HAS to do something "special" on V Day!

Alright, rant over. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this post alone may very well encapsulate why I am the luckiest husband there is! Okay, that, and your overly gracious (and exaggerative) birthday one. Nah, there are many, many more reasons...